Country of origin:
Type of music generally:
Women's music, activist folk/pop
Most recent release, Peace Becomes You (2012)
Holly Near's site
Wikipedia's entry for Holly Near
Meg Christian, Margie Adam
Own, cowritten songs, and covers
I've always been a fan of Holly Near. She's got a wonderful voice, great politics, and her live shows have been emotional and empowering experiences for me and so many others, men and women alike. (Violaine@juno.com)
One of the most haunting songs I've ever heard was a Holly Near song about the women "disappeared" by the Nicaraguan government, "Hay Una Mujer Desaparecida." Translates, if I remember, as "A Mother is Disappeared." Not that I'm a Holly Near fan. (email@example.com)
Recommended first album:
One of the collections might be the best place to start for a new listener
- Hang in There (1973)
- A Live Album (1974)
- You Can Know All I Am (1976)
- Imagine My Surprise! (1978)
- Fire in the Rain (1981)
- Speed of Light (1982)
- Lifeline (1983)
- Journeys (1983)
- Watch Out! (1984)
- Sing to Me the Dream (1984, reissued 2007)
- Singing with You (1986)
- Don't Hold Back (1987)
- Sky Dances (1989)
- Singer in the Storm (1990)
- Musical Highlights from the Play "Fire in... (1993)
- This Train Still Runs (live, 1996)
- With a Song in My Heart (1997)
- Simply Love: The Women's Music Collection (2000)
- Edge (2000)
- Early Warnings (compilation 2001; re-released with additional tracks, 2012)
- And Still We Sing: The Outspoken Collection (2002)
- Early Warnings (2002)
- Crushed! The Love Song Collection (2002)
- Lifeline Extended (expanded reissue, 2002)
- Show Up (2006)
- We Came to Sing! (2009)
- Peace Becomes You (2012)
Holly Near has also done albums with Ronnie Gilbert and Cris Williamson, as well as one with Arlo, Ronnie Gilbert, and Pete Seeger.
241 - 280 of 380 entries
DISCLAIMER: Comments and reviews in the Ectophiles' Guide are excerpted from the ecto mailing list or volunteered by members of the list. They are the opinions of music enthusiasts, not professional music critics.
|Entry last updated 2016-07-20 20:01:24.
Please request permission if you wish to
reproduce any of the comments in the
Ectophiles' Guide in any context.
The Ectophiles' Guide to Good Music is copyright © 1996-2004 by the editors.
Individual comments are copyright © by their authors.
Web site design and programming copyright © 1998-2004 usrbin design + programming.
All rights reserved.